Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Sign for Our Times

This is just my way of recognizing a piece of 'news' that I think is front page stuff.  We all expect Navy Seals to be tough, resilient and highly motivated. Even by these high standards, Lieutenant Jason Redman stands out. He is a SEAL – part of the Navy's elite Special Ops team – who took rounds from a machine-gun in his face and arm in Iraq last year. Jason posted a bright orange sign on the door of his hospital room at Bethesda National Naval Medical Center:

image

Just in case it is hard to read, here is the text:

"Attention to all who enter here. If you are coming into this room with sorrow or to feel sorry for my wounds, go elsewhere. The wounds I received I got in a job I love, doing it for people I love, supporting the freedom of a country I deeply love. I am incredibly tough and will make a full recovery. What is full? That is the absolute utmost physically my body has the ability to recover. Then I will push that about 20 percent further through sheer mental tenacity. This room you are about to enter is a room of fun, optimism, and intense rapid regrowth. If you are not prepared for that, go elsewhere."

Thank you for your service Lieutenant Jason Redman.  And thank you for the inspiration you have brought to many of us without doing anything beyond being yourself.

Refer to the National Review online for additional details of the story. 

No comments:

Sunshine on Discovery Bay

Sunshine on Discovery Bay
As always, the photos we use are either my own, or in the public domain. Please let me know if there are any errors and I'll correct them immediately.