Sunday, December 14, 2008

Good or Bad, You get on with it.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."                                            --Robert Frost

Sometimes the greatest wisdom slips by unnoticed, disguised as ordinary and hidden in plain sight.  I always thought that this statement by Robert Frost was deeply insightful, and to avoid only picking a poet as a surrogate for expressing this wise point of view, it reminds me of the dialogue in Tombstone when Doc Holiday is dying in the sanitarium and Wyatt Earp tells him he just doesn't know how to live anymore.  Holiday's (Val Kilmer's) well-written and well-acted reply was an earnest and soft: "It's just life, Wyatt.  You get on with it."  And really, the more I reflect on this idea, the more I come to feel that there is wisdom enough to live a fine life just by listening and remembering this idea often.  Ultimately, with or without our consent and participation, life goes on.

No comments:

Sunshine on Discovery Bay

Sunshine on Discovery Bay
As always, the photos we use are either my own, or in the public domain. Please let me know if there are any errors and I'll correct them immediately.