Sunday, October 18, 2009

NFL Update – Blowouts Galore

Though I may never again be nearly as addicted to football as I was when I was a single and childless young man, I do still geek out on football sometimes.  When I can – meaning when I have time and no one else is using our television – I watch the Seahawks, and somewhat less often I watch other NFL or college games.  Most often I record the game and watch it later.  My favorite way to watch now includes both the television and my laptop.  I like to see the action live as well as use the CBS game channel to give me up-to-the play statistics.  This year I’ve also gotten used to watching baseball games this way.  The user interface with baseball is nice because it shows the strike zone and a 3D graphic of each pitch as it approaches the batter. 

The Seahawks played like they were down to a practice-squad left tackle on the offensive line (the first three guys at that position on the depth chart having been injured in prior weeks).  That left me with a lot of time when I’d normally be flinching or cussing, but now could use the time more gratifyingly by checking in on other games in progress.  There were a couple that stood out, but none more than the absolute pounding that the Patriots gave the Titans.  With just under eight minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter, New England was leading 59 to zip.  Tom Brady threw for 5 touchdowns in the second quarter alone.  Just look at the scoring plays from the Pats up to the middle of the 3rd quarter:


TD
Laurence Maroney, 45 Yd run (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 5:51. Drive: 5 plays, 79 yards in 2:27.

FG
Stephen Gostkowski 33 Yd, 0:47. Drive: 7 plays, 63 yards in 4:10.

2nd Quarter
TD
Randy Moss, 40 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 9:56. Drive: 6 plays, 65 yards in 3:11.

TD
Randy Moss, 28 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 8:59. Drive: 2 plays, 31 yards in 0:44.

TD
Kevin Faulk, 38 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 6:20. Drive: 4 plays, 65 yards in 1:34.

TD
Wes Welker, 30 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 1:53. Drive: 5 plays, 76 yards in 2:49.

TD
Wes Welker, 5 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 0:12. Drive: 10 plays, 49 yards in 1:04.

3rd Quarter

TD
Randy Moss, 9 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 10:13. Drive: 9 plays, 65 yards in 4:47.

TD
Brian Hoyer, 1 Yd run (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 0:11. Drive: 12 plays, 61 yards in 7:42.

Brady threw for six touchdowns and over 380 yards in just over a half of football.  The 13-3 record posted by last year’s Titans seems much more distant than just a season, with the hapless Titans now winless in week six.

Not to be outgunned, the league’s hottest quarterback thus far in this season also threw for over 350 yards and four touchdowns against the top-ranked pass defense in the Saints 48-27 win over the previously undefeated Giants.  Drew Brees has been unbelievable all year, and today was nothing short of amazing.

I kept an eye on the Redskins progress against the Chiefs, and continued to feel badly for Jim Zorn – thrust into a position he just shouldn’t have allowed himself to accept.  I’ve liked Zorn since the Seahawks first season – Dad got our family season tickets and we went to see the expansion team with the unconventional head coach (Jack Patera), the mobile and exciting left-handed quarterback (Zorn) and the great Steve Largent.  Zorn is funny, quirky, genuine and I can see why his players asked Redskins owner Dan Snyder to give their coach a vote of confidence.  It is tough to watch the disheveled and disorganized ‘Skins lose to a previously winless team (again), and it is hard to see how Zorn could keep his job after this.  I am sure he’s a good QB coach (Mike Holmgren is as good a teacher as can be found at developing QB talent, and Zorn worked for Holmgren in Seattle these past five or six years), and I was looking forward to seeing how he did as the offensive coordinator.  It was likely an offer he couldn’t refuse when Snyder decided to make Zorn the Head Coach as well as offensive coordinator, but I sure wish Zorn had done so.  The team looks horrible, and seems to be regressing week to week.  Zorn is doing not just one, not just two, but three jobs he has never held before:  offensive coordinator, head coach and offensive play-caller. 

I do enjoy having a control panel that lets’ me keep real-time track of the game I am watching as well as all the other action around the league at the same time.  If you want to try it out, on most sports, just follow the link below:

NFL GameTracker - CBSSports.com

No comments:

Sunshine on Discovery Bay

Sunshine on Discovery Bay
As always, the photos we use are either my own, or in the public domain. Please let me know if there are any errors and I'll correct them immediately.