Friday, August 07, 2009

Mariners Option Vargas, Call Up Fister

I’m looking forward to seeing Doug Fister, called up from the Rainiers today, in his first Mariners start on Tuesday.  He’s done okay at Tacoma and I think he will do better in Seattle than in AAA.  Why?  He has great control, and with friendly confines at the Safe, and the outstanding defense the Mariners field, I think he’ll benefit.  Add to it that he’s 6-8, and that it will be the first time any big-leaguers will have seen him, and I think he’ll do well the rest of the season.  Hope so, anyway.

I feel badly for Jason Vargas, but with an ERA over ten since the All-Star break, and winless since June, the M’s couldn’t give him more time to get back on track with the big club.  And, truth be told, since he relies so much on his changeup, I’m not sure he’d have done much better now that he’s been seen and scouted by most teams.  His change doesn’t come in nine flavors like Jamie Moyer’s…

And finally, I wonder if anyone but lame bloggers will actually use the naughty headline that I bet occurs to many when they see Fister has been called up…hint:  replace ‘er’ with ‘ed’.

2 comments:

Michael Burt said...

Looks like I pegged the Mariners reasons for bringing Fister up - his control conmined with a strong defense is a good combination. Get the other guys to put it in play and let a strong defense make outs.

"Wakamatsu and Fister agreed that the righty's biggest strength is his command, and Fister has a five-pitch arsenal.

Whether he gets them over the plate will dictate how long he stays in Seattle."

From Mlb.com article by Christian Caple

Michael Burt said...

Fister has gotten off to a really good start so far in Seattle. His control was a little shaky in his first start (4 walks), but he allowed just 1 hit and no earned runs in six innings against the White Sox. This afternoon he had an outstanding game against the brutal hitting lineup the Yankees trot out there, scattering eight hits and no walks over seven innings for his first major league win. With the defense the Mariners play, a pitcher who can get the ball in play and avoid walks is likely to be successful.

Sunshine on Discovery Bay

Sunshine on Discovery Bay
As always, the photos we use are either my own, or in the public domain. Please let me know if there are any errors and I'll correct them immediately.