Thursday, January 01, 2009

Amazing Photo of San Francisco in Ruins after the 1906 Earthquake and Fire

I just finished reading the book A Crack in the Edge of the World by Simon Winchester.  I've read about the disaster in San Francisco before, but as usual Winchester's book is a broad, thorough examination written to read as engagingly and pleasantly as a good novel.  It's hard to imagine the destruction of that quake and the fire that followed after.  This picture, taken from a balloon shortly after the fires died down shows just how total the destruction was. 

If you'd like to zoom in for greater detail follow the link:  http://www.abneypark.com/sanfranfromairship.jpg

No comments:

Sunshine on Discovery Bay

Sunshine on Discovery Bay
As always, the photos we use are either my own, or in the public domain. Please let me know if there are any errors and I'll correct them immediately.