Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Fatherhood

I'm continually surprised by my kids.  Most parents are, I know, and not always in good ways.  I have been fortunate in my life to have a pretty great time with good friends, interesting work and lots of interests.  Still, looking back I realize that there is an entirely new dimension to my life since I became a father and it has changed everything about me. 

I once thought of myself based on where I was from, or what I did for a living, or my world view ideologically.  I realized the other day that the first thing that comes to my mind now when a situation calls for me to tell someone who I am, is father.  I'm a father.  I choose what I do every day, with every free moment, based on wanting to spend time with my kids, and give them experiences.  I view most situations in life with an eye to making sure they are able to understand what is happening.  I feel cheated if I don't get to put them to bed, and never miss an event if I can help it.  They make me laugh often, and it is conversations with them in the evening that are my treasure. 

None of that is to say that I am a very good father.  I am rather critical of myself as a father.  But it is who I am, and what I want most to be.  I hope my kids never lose the desire to tell me about their day, read with me, take trips together and hang out together.  I know that even as a teen I still wanted to hang out with my own father.  Maybe I will be so lucky. 

No comments:

Sunshine on Discovery Bay

Sunshine on Discovery Bay
As always, the photos we use are either my own, or in the public domain. Please let me know if there are any errors and I'll correct them immediately.