Monday, March 26, 2007

"No Problem"

Does anyone remember when 'please' was answered with phrases like 'you are welcome', or 'it is my pleasure'? Today, the courtesy of thanking, say, a waiter as he or she delivers food to one's table is often answered 'no problem'. I must say, that it is a very lucky thing indeed that it is 'no problem' for a food server to serve food. Imagine what would happen to a restaurant if it suddenly became a problem for food servers to serve food. And what is the tip jar at Starbuck's for? Not spilling coffee on me? I understand tipping the person who hauls my heavy bags up to a room, or who brings a salad, main course, beverages, etc to my table. I understand when my hotel room has been well maintained during a visit, or when I have left a mess for the housekeeping staff. But why am I expected to tip counter people where I do all the walking (order and pay here, pick up there, add cream or get a napkin there)? In fact, I sometimes find myself wiping off the counter where the cream and sugar are housed - instinctive action I guess. Should I be tipped? Oh, and I even understand tipping cab drivers - it is an incentive to them to make sure that I arrive at my destination alive. One dry cleaner told me that broken buttons as a result of laundering or ironing were not repaired. He seemed puzzled by my suggestion that the larger purpose - abjectly defeated by missing and broken buttons - of having shirts cleaned and pressed was in fact to make them more presentable. I have a new cleaner, but am waiting for the day when a tip jar appears there.

No comments:

Sunshine on Discovery Bay

Sunshine on Discovery Bay
As always, the photos we use are either my own, or in the public domain. Please let me know if there are any errors and I'll correct them immediately.